I had my first harvest of strawberries for the year this weekend and it got me thinking what are the health benefits of strawberries? Nothing beats the taste of fresh strawberries but how do they really benefit our bodies?
I’ve come up with 5 health benefits of strawberries that I want to share:
5 Health benefits of strawberries
1. Good source of Vitamin C – Vitamin C helps to promote healthy eyes, helps fight cancer and helps with the production of collagen (for younger looking skin).
2. Contain a good amount of fibre – Fibre is a necessity for healthy digestion.
3. Antioxidants and phytochemicals found in strawberries can help to reduce inflammation of joints – Reducing the risk of diseases such as arthritis.
4. Rich in potassium and magnesium content – both of which are effective in lowering high blood pressure.
5. High fibre content, folate, no fats, and high levels of antioxidants such as vitamin-C are effective at reducing cholesterol in the arteries and vessels.
As you can see, not only are they delicious but they really are good for you! I ate my small harvest of berries with some pancakes, blueberries and honey for a yummy and nutritious Sunday breakfast. Next week I’m hoping to have my favourite strawberry muffin recipe ready to share!
If you’re interested in growing your own strawberries check out my 5 tips for growing strawberries.